“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words.” Matthew 6:5-7
Prayer is one of the three pillars of Lent. Here are some ideas for you and your family to focus on prayer during Lent.
- Attend Mass as a Family
- Read the Gospel stories of Jesus’ Passion
- Matthew 25: 14-27:66
- Mark 14:10-15:47
- Luke 22: 14-23:56
- On strips of paper, write a personal devotion, sacrifice or reflection for Lent and keep them somewhere central in your home to remind you.
- When you see or hear about someone sick or in need- pray for them.
- Watch for opportunities to share your faith with others. Pray for individuals to come to know Jesus
- Try out different forms of prayer as a family- the Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, Lectio Divina, etc. Click any of those words for further instruction!